What to Expect
Mayors and councillors from across the province will be gathering in Calgary for the Alberta Municipalities conference beginning on Wednesday. While the Ministers’ forums on Thursday and Friday will generate a lot of interest, the UCP candidate forum on Thursday will be the main event. Premier Kenney and Opposition Leader Notley will be addressing the conference on Friday morning.
Just back from London to pay his respects at the Queen’s passing, Premier Kenney will continue to sell Alberta as he delivers a talk to the Economic Club of Canada in Toronto later today.
Members of the Alberta Medical Association (AMA) will continue voting on the prospective agreement with the province. The final day of voting is Wednesday, September 28.
The Week That Was
UCP leadership candidates continued to release policy details this week. Brian Jean, Danielle Smith, Todd Loewen, and Rajan Sawhney expanding on their plans for health care, while Travis Toews announced he would re-index AISH benefits. Rebecca Schulz released her full, costed platform at the beginning of the month.
Albertans can expect an increase in job openings. According to the Alberta Chamber of Commerce, 46 per cent of companies in the province are anticipating an expansion in the coming year.
In honour of the late Queen Elizabeth II, the federal building that resides on the Alberta Legislature’s grounds is to be renamed in her honour. Additionally, September 19, was declared as a provincial day of mourning.
The Alberta government has appointed University of Calgary law Professor and Associate Dean Evaristus Oshionebo as the acting head of its Human Rights Commission.
The government of Alberta and Saskatchewan, along with industry stakeholders, have secured an exemption from the federal government that will allow oil service rigs to move freely between the two provinces.
The Government of Alberta will match donations to the Canadian Red Cross up to $500,000 to help those impacted by the devasting floods in Pakistan.
Orders in Council
OIC 308/2022 – Makes the following appointments:
- Effective October 30, 2022, reappoints Richard Casson as a member of the board of The Governors of The University of Lethbridge for a term to expire on October 29, 2025.
- Appoints the following persons as members of the board of The Governors of The University of Lethbridge, each for a term to expire on September 15, 2025:
- Bev Burton
- Nikki Van Mulligen, to succeed Shipla Stocker
OIC 311/2022 – Appoints Robert (Bob) Sartor, to succeed Letha J. MacLachlan, as a member of the Board of Governors of The Banff Centre for a term to expire on September 15, 2025.
OIC 312/2022 – Makes the following appointments:
- Effective November 5, 2022, reappoints Roger Renaud as a member of the board of directors of the Alberta Investment Management Corporation for a term to expire on November 4, 2025;
- Effective January 1, 2023, reappoints Dr. Kenneth Kroner as a member of the board of directors of the Alberta Investment Management Corporation for a term to expire on December 31, 2025; and
- Effective October 1, 2022, appoints Navjeet Singh Dhillon as a member of the board of directors of the Alberta Investment Management Corporation for a term to expire on September 30, 2025.