What to Expect
Yesterday’s announcement that an independent review by the Alberta Public Service found no evidence of contact between staffers in the Premier’s office and the Alberta Crown Prosecution Service will likely keep driving the news this week. Last week, the CBC reported, based on two sources, that the emails had been sent.
Meanwhile, the budget continues to be finalized this week in anticipation of an early March release. Once it has been finalized, look for spending announcements that will be in the budget leading up to the opening of the Spring Legislative session on February 28.
The Week That Was
The province has received its first shipment of 250,000 bottles of children’s pain medication after a long shortage period.
Premier Smith has appointed Preston Manning as chair of the panel that will review the legislation and governing processes the province used to manage the COVID-19 pandemic.
In response to the continued challenges in staffing and emergency departments, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta (CPSA) has announced a five-year pilot project which will work to streamline licensing requirements for eligible international medical students.
The Calgary Chamber has announced its 2023 Board of Directors which includes the appointment of Julia Irwin, Dr. Misheck Mwaba, and Greg Peterson serving for a three-year term. The Chamber has also announced Jason Hatcher as their new Vice-Chair and incoming Board Chair in 2024. Please see the following list of the entire Board of Directors for 2023:
- Desiree Bombenon, Board Chair; President and CEO, SureCall
- Jason Hatcher, Vice Chair and incoming Board Chair; Managing Principal, Navigator
- Connor Curran, Co-owner, Local Laundry
- Darren Engels, Founder and Chief Engagement Officer, Tailwind Associates Inc.
- Neeraj Gupta, Chief Strategy Officer, Attabotics
- Kelsey Hahn, CEO and Co-Founder, Monark Inc.
- Anne Harding, Founder, Forum Community Relations Inc.
- Julia Irwin, Director, Viridian Family Office
- Ken Keelor, CEO, Calgary Co-op
- Dr. Misheck Mwaba, President and CEO, Bow Valley College
- Lara Murphy, Co-Founder, Ryan Murphy Construction
- Greg Peterson, Partner Head, Calgary Corporate Finance, M&A and Private Equity Group, Gowling WLG
- Mike Shaw, Senior Vice President & General Manager, ATCO Energy Solutions
- Scott Wenger, Director of Government Relations, Suncor